It’s very likely that furnishings and interior decor elements in our homes will get tired and dated over time. This is especially true for those rooms that are most frequently in use, such as our main living spaces and our kitchen area.
If you’re looking to modernise your living spaces, you may be put off by the time and financial investment it can take. It isn’t feasible for many of us to constantly refresh our interior decor. However, it doesn’t always have to be a huge investment – there are many quick and easy methods you can implement to simply update and refresh the look of your home.
Below is a list of 7 ways that you can easily modernise and refresh your living areas:
- Update your fabrics and linens. In your living areas, the frame of your sofas and chairs don’t gets worn down easily. However, the fabrics and upholstery can become faded over time, either through exposure to sunlight, cleaning products, or just frequency of use. An easy way to modernise your living room is by reupholstering or getting the fabrics professionally cleaned. This can be easily done for any chair that is looking a little under the weather.
- Incorporate new design trends by purchasing smaller trendy items. Let’s face it, interior design trends are not easy to keep up with. It can be very expensive and time-consuming to have to redecorate any time new seasonal trends are introduced. However, you don’t want your living areas to look dated. There are two ways around this. You can either go for a traditional design scheme, investing in classic and timeless pieces such as tub chairs, chunky clocks and hard wood tables. Or, you can include design trends by updating smaller items such as cushion covers, rugs, and throws. We would recommend going for a more timeless look than a completely trend-focused aesthetic.
- Add some new art to your walls. For a really easy way to refresh the look of your living rooms, try and investing in a few art prints and updating your wall space. Hang pictures on walls that were previously empty and frame some of your latest family photos to replace older ones. Photos also look beautiful in black and white if you’re aiming to switch the look up a little
- Refresh any worn out pieces with a quick polish or a lick of paint. Some of your furniture items may be perfectly structurally sound, but just need a refresh on the surface. This can be easily done either by yourself or by hiring a professional. For wooden pieces, a bit of polish can do the trick. Other items can be easily refreshed with a quick DIY paint job.
- Update your walls. While we’re talking about paint, you don’t have to limit this to refreshing your furniture items. Repainting a room can completely change its look and feel. You could also consider wallpaper to easily incorporate prints and colour that are on-trend.
- Add one or two new statement pieces. Sometimes the best way to modernise a room is simply by investing in one larger furniture piece that you can arrange your other items around. Why not check out our range of tub chairs to add a new stylish seating option into your living room?
- Rearrange your furniture. If you aren’t keen on investing money but still want to update the look of your home, then we’d recommend simply trying to rearrange the furniture of the room. Switching up the layout of a room can quickly and easily make it feel completely different. Different items will catch the light in different ways, and you may also discover a layout that makes the room feel more spacious or more functionally comfortable.
Office and marketing manager for Sloane & Sons Stylish Chairs, who sell a range of high-quality tub chairs, accent chairs and more.